Monday, October 22, 2012

Don't allow Satan to put a question mark where God has already put a period.

Oh my goodness.

I hope many of you are reading this because it has seriously touched me.

If any of you are thinking of serving a mission or have wanted to in the past but are now having doubts about it: don't!  Don't allow Satan to put a question mark where God has already put a period.
And for those of you who have already served: continue to serve! Continue to share the light and love with others. Don't be afraid to share the gospel even though you don't have a tag and a constant companion by your side. This post is not only for those who are considering serving, but for everyone.

Today I was at the dentist -Man! My dentist is just the best! Plus, I've known him for forever! :) After he finished working on me, before his next patient, he took the time to tell me a story that really hit home. He was pretty emotional about it while relaying it.

My Dentist knows of a (returned) missionary from Spanish Fork who told him this amazing story from his mission....

The missionary and his companion started teaching an old lady (I think in her 80's or 90's).  They taught her the first lesson, and gave her a Book of Mormon.  She read it and decided she wanted to be baptized.  Soon after she told them that, she let them know she wanted her patriarchal blessing, even though she was in her old age.  She wanted the opportunity to have it before she died.

Some time after getting the blessing, she wanted to hear her blessing again (like we all do after receiving our own).  After getting a printed copy, she asked the Elder to read it to her, in which he replied: "You should read it.  Blessings are very personal and sacred....I don't feel I should read it to you. It's yours."

What the Elders didn't know is that this lady was blind.  She proceeded to tell them this, and said that is why she wanted him to read her blessing to her.  She then let them know that she was able to read the Book of Mormon though a miracle from God -- during her time of reading the Book of Mormon, God allowed her to see the written words. She read the whole book being able to see! Upon finishing the book however, her vision was again gone. But God loved her enough that He had temporarily allowed her to see, so she, too, could learn of the truth and have that happiness in her life.

So, naturally, after hearing this, the Elder gladly read her blessing to her.  (This is the part that really gets to me).  In this lady's blessing, it said that she was supposed to be baptized......but a long time ago.  It told her that there was a young man who rejected a [mission] call.  He was the one who was supposed to be prepared to bring her the gospel, but he didn't serve.  So many years went by before two more Elders were called and prepared, found her, and brought her unto Christ. Soon after becoming a member and receiving her very own blessing, she passed on to be with her Heavenly Father again.

Whether this story be true or not (which I believe it is), it really impacted me.  The message is so wonderful.  We all should try and be more willing to put others first because we don't know who might really be needing it.  I honestly believe only certain people can really get to and touch someone's life. I honestly believe that those who serve missions are called to a specific mission because that is where they are needed most.  This gospel is so beautiful and I cannot wait to go out and share it with others.

Also, this afternoon I went with a dear friend of mine to the MTC and volunteered.  One of the missionaries that taught us was actually a convert himself (I was acting as a convert) and he told us his story and it brought the sweetest spirit!  He was baptized only 15 months ago, and is now on his own mission.  What a courageous young man he is!  You can just feel warm rays of Truth gleaming from him.  His testimony was so, so strong.  Any doubt I might have had about my upcoming mission was washed away!  If he can go out and serve a mission, having the gospel in his life 19 years less than I have had it, so can I....  And I will! I AM! (My call should be here in a couple of weeks. Eeeek!)  I know the Lord will bless me as I serve His children.

Today has been such a wonderful day.  I love the little tender mercies the Lord sends us, and that He sent me today.  I can't wait to proudly wear His name for a year and a half and represent His glorious gospel, helping to bring His children back home.

Don't allow Satan to put a question mark where God has so lovingly and obviously put a period.  Trust yourself and your righteous desires.  Don't let fear hold you back.


Proverbs 3:5-6 
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."



Sister Kelsie Mariah Hadlock, lifelong missionary

2 comments:

  1. It's pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I got your blog link from the fb "many are called but few are sisters" group :) That story IS true! My second counselor told me that same story about a week after the announcement...I'm so glad we are going on missions!!!!

    ReplyDelete