Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 72 ~ Follow the Prophet!


Day 72:
-Read: Helaman 8-10
-Mark: Helaman 8:4, 7-9

"How we respond to the words of a living prophet when he tells us what we need to know, but would rather not hear, is a test of our faithfulness."
~President Ezra Taft Benson

Something to think about: Even though wicked men were arguing against Nephi, some righteous people knew he was a prophet and supported him. How can you sustain our living prophet?


This just reminded me of a story from when I was a little girl, probably about the age of 9. My mom tells this story better than I do, but I will give it a shot. . .

Do you all remember back when President Hinckley was our living prophet, he asked the male members to not have earrings, and the females to only have one pair if they chose to have their ears pierced? Well....I do.

At the time this talk was given, my mom had about 3 pairs of earrings in one ear and 2 in the other. She had had them since she was a teenager. She loved them, too, mind you. When I heard this talk, I kept pestering my mother about taking out the earrings because "the prophet has specifically asked women to only have one pair." She always replied and argued in defense saying, "No, because he's talking to rebellious teens who are piercing weird parts of their bodies......and I love my earrings. I never take them out. I sleep in them, even. They are a part of my face! I don't have them because I'm being rebellious."

Anyway, one day I decided to try yet again while my mom was minding her own business relaxing in the tub, ha. I sat on the floor very upset with her. This time I took a difference stance. Instead of lecturing her, I came to her with "those big brown eyes, brim full of tears" and asked her to "please take them out." I was basically afraid she was going to go to hell for not taking out her earrings and listening to the prophet. I was concerned for her well-being and felt she was being rebellious.

If you can believe it, she remained resistant until I uttered these words.......

"Mom, you know it's not just the prophet saying this. It comes from God."

What could a good mother do? I mean really. She couldn't argue with God in front of her own child....and she could really see that it was important to me. So she said, "Ok, Kelsie. I'll take them out." Then she proceeding to take out the earrings, placing them in my little hands. I was thrilled beyond belief! Grinning from ear-to-ear, I wrapped my arms around her neck and said "Thanks, Mommy." Then I was out, lingering no longer.

That was that. I am proud to say she still only wears one pair today!!



So really, follow the prophet 'cuz no matter how small the thing is he asks of us, it still come from God.

Even a little 9 year old knew that.


3 comments:

  1. Even my 4-year-old knows this. My cousin has her ears double pierced. She was here the other day and Shelby asked her why she was wearing 2 earrings in her ears and didn't she know that the prophet only wants us to wear one pair of earrings? Shelby is also the modesty police and is constantly pointing out bad outfits in public and on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^Haha Kayla :) I loved this. She's such a funny child. Has someone heard her commenting on their outfits? At least you (hopefully) won't have to worry about the immodesty factor with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has asked people why they look a certain way, why their hair is a certain color, etc. She asked an old lady at Kohl's the other day why her face looked like that (meaning wrinkled). Oh dear! She is so innocent but I am always afraid she'll hurt someone's feelings.

    ReplyDelete