Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day Twenty-Three


I read this morning at about 10:00, but the building I was at did not have internet that I could connect to when I tried to get on and write this post. So here I am now :)

Before I give you the reading, here is a quote I found that I want you to think about:
"But we have something in the Book of Mormon that, if we did not have other truth expressed in it, would be sufficient evidence of the divinity of this book. I have reference to the fifth chapter of Jacob...I think that as many as ninety-nine out of every hundred who read the Book of Mormon, read this parable through without grasping the fullness and meaning of it. And I think this is one of the greatest passages in the Book of Mormon....No matter how many times you have read the Book of Mormon, ....take a few minutes at some convenient time and sit down and just read carefully every word in the fifth chapter of the Book of Jacob...No greater parable was ever recorded... I tell you, my brothers and sisters, Joseph Smith did not write it. That was written by the inspiration of the Almighty...When you read that chapter through if you cannot say in your soul, 'this is absolutely a revelation from God,' then there is something wrong with you."
~Joseph Fielding Smith

Here is the symbolism to look for:


ITEM INTERPRETATION

1. The vineyard

1. The world

2. Master of the vineyard

2. Jesus Christ

3. The servant

3. The Lord’s prophets

4. Tame olive tree

4. The house of Israel, the Lord’s covenant people

5. Wild olive tree

5. Gentiles

6. Branches

6. Groups of people

7. The roots of the tame olive tree

7. The gospel covenant and promises made by God that constantly give life and sustenance to the tree

8. Fruit of the tree

8. The lives or works of men

9. Digging, pruning, fertilizing

9. The Lord’s work with his children which seeks to persuade them to be obedient and produce good fruit

10. Transplanting the branches

10. Scattering of groups throughout the world or restoring them to their original position

11. Grafting

11. The process of spiritual rebirth wherein one is joined to the covenant

12. Decaying branches

12. Wickedness and apostasy

13. Casting the branches into the fire

13. The judgment of God


Day 23:
-Read: Jacob 5
-Mark: Jacob 5:61-62

"Give me a young man who has kept himself morally clean and has faithfully attended his church meetings. Give me a young man who has magnified his priesthood and has earned the Duty to God Award and is an Eagle Scout. Give me a young man who is a seminary graduate and has a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon. Give me such a young man, and I will give you a young man who can perform miracles for the Lord in the mission field and throughout his life."
~President Ezra Taft Benson

Something to think about: How can you prepare now to labor diligently in the Lord's vineyard?


So...today I had a wonderful opportunity to "labor in the Lord's vineyard." I was eating lunch with a couple of my Saudi friends and we got talking about the church. (It started out being just 2 of them, and by the end of the conversation there were four!) They asked me many, many questions and we had a good 2 hour discussion. As I told them about Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, fasting, tithing, patriarchal blessings, the temple and the work we do there, how families can be together forever, etc, it just strengthened my testimony even more so. This really is such a wonderful church! Hearing the words coming out of my mouth, I can't believe how very blessed we are. The Lord loves us. He wants us to be happy, and to learn and grow and bring all of His children home. Share the gospel! Don't be afraid :) The church is true!

1 comment:

  1. Random picture to go with your post. Having said that, that sure was a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete