Saturday, December 17, 2011

Days 53 & 54/Cove Fort

Well guys.....I have some sad news. Yesterday was the first day I missed my reading!! Not that you care, but I got up and finished packing to come home for Christmas break, had a friend help check my oil/tires/etc. to make sure I was good to drive home, and then me and my roommate Ruth left and drove 3 hours to my home in Mapleton. It actually took us longer than normal, cuz we decided to stop and see "Cove Fort" (just south of Fillmore). It was really neat--even though it was completely freezing, we were so glad that we took the time to stop. Anyway.. We got home and then basically hurried and got ready and ate dinner before going to the j.wride Christmas concert in Pleasant Grove! Then by the time we got back from that, we were tired from driving all day and decided to head to bed. I tried reading before going to sleep, but by that point I just couldn't do it. Sad, huh? I was on a winning streak! Oh well. I made up for it today and now I'm caught back up.

Day 53:
-Read: Alma 32-33
-Mark: Alma 32:21

"Of all our needs, I think the greatest is an increase of faith."
~President Gordon B. Hinckley

Something to think about: How often do you exercise faith? What difference can “a particle
of faith” make in our actions? (see Matthew 17:20)

Day 54:
-Read: Alma 34-36
-Mark: Alma 34:32-33

“The thought of intentionally committing serious sin now and
repenting later is perilously wrong. Never do that. Many start
that journey of intentional transgression and never make it back.
Premeditated sin has greater penalties and is harder to overcome.
If there is sin, repent now—while you can.”
~ Elder Richard G. Scott

Something to think about: What does Satan do to try to keep you from repenting?
How many reasons can you think of or why it’s important to repent now?

Okay, so I actually wanna go back to talking about Cove Fort. I just wanna tell y'all a little about it!
Cove Fort was founded by Ira Hinckley in 1867. (Ira Hinckley is the paternal grandfather of President Gordon B. Hinckley). Anyway, it was built at the request of President Brigham Young. If I remember correctly, the base of the walls are 4 feet thick and are 2 feet by the time you reach the top. They are 18 feet in height and are made of black volcanic rock and a dark limestone. The thick walls were to try and keep Indians out. But later, the early pioneers actually befriended them after feeding them.

"Cove Fort was constructed as a safe stop for travelers, where they could find shelter, fresh water, and feed for livestock." There are many different rooms and also telegraph office that the travelers would use.

Outside there was a huge garden that Ira's wife would use what was produced to cook fine meals to serve to the hungry travelers.

Ruth and I loved seeing what life was like for them. Here are a few pictures we took while there:


You can totally tell it was cold because of our red faces/noses! :)




Front view.

Hey~We match! (We're both wearing my coats cuz hers was packed away in the trunk when we decided to stop by).
It looked so beautiful in the snow! It was kind of windy while we were there as well, but the walls were so well built that when we were touring the inside you couldn't even hear it or tell!
The missionaries were so nice and so welcoming and wanting to show us around (even though it was seriously SO COLD!) I would honestly recommend anyone go and stop by if you ever have the chance. It is worth it :) It was also fun for me to go back there, cuz my first and only memory of going there was with my grandma when I was probably about 5 or 6(?). I was traveling down south with her to visit some relatives and you know how little kids are--they can't sit still, so long car rides are hard! My loving grandmother decided to stop by and take me to Cove Fort. I obviously couldn't remember all the finer details, but I just remember thinking it was a really neat place and having a good feeling while there.

No comments:

Post a Comment